To lots of parents, taking their child to see their dentist in Newmarket for the very first time is a big step. Though this appointment is straightforward and does not take too long, it helps set a precedent and marks the beginning of your little one’s oral health journey.
If you’re looking for reliable pediatric dentistry near you, we highly encourage you to come to Keep28 Dental Centre with your family. Our staff looks forward to meeting all of you and assisting each one of you with your smiles.
The Right Age to See a Pediatric Dentistry
Pediatric dentists are dental practitioners who specialize in providing care to youngsters, just like pediatric doctors do. The general rule is to bring your child in once their first tooth comes in or by the time they turn one year old. Their dentist will examine their mouth and make sure that things look alright.
Though such an appointment is quite brief, it’s important to familiarize your child with the dentist and the dental clinic. That way, they’ll be able to build a trusting relationship with their dentist and won’t feel anxious each time they need to visit.
Preparing for the Appointment
Although there is no right or wrong time to come in, children are the most alert in the morning, so if it works with your schedule, we recommend booking a time before noon. Even though dental offices, especially pediatric dental clinics, have toys and games that your kiddo can play with while waiting, it’s a good idea to bring their favorite stuffed animal or toy with you, too, to provide them with additional comfort.
When it’s your child’s turn to be seen, their dentist near Aurora will show them to the chair and help them get comfortable. They know how to make your child feel at ease and will be able to gradually teach them how to look after their smiles themselves and why it’s important.
As a parent, it’s good to stay calm, even if you are a bit nervous too. After all, children mimic what they see.
Benefits of Seeing a Pediatric Dentist
- Advanced training. As part of their formal education, pediatric dentists are required to complete a residency working with children and learn how to handle a range of behaviours from their little patients and their families.
- Treatments are tailored to each patient, no matter how young they are.
- They can help address a child’s bad habits. This includes thumb sucking and teeth grinding (bruxism).
- Insight into your child’s development needs. Pediatric dentists also have much knowledge regarding how the human body grows and changes. Over time, their dentist will shift their treatments from good oral health promotion to preserving their smiles and ensuring the health of their teeth and gums lasts.
- It’s a fun environment. The majority of pediatric dental clinics are decorated with bright colors and pictures and have plenty of toys to make your child happy and at ease. Some dentists even offer them little prizes once their appointment is over.
Have questions or concerns about any of this? Not a problem; reach out to your dentist when it works best for you. They’ll be able to walk you and your child through any process from beginning to end, so you all feel at ease and know what to expect.
Visit Our Dental Clinic Today!
Are you ready to bring your child in for their first appointment? At our local dental office, our staff is ready to aid you and your family with all your dental needs, however complex. Your child deserves to have a dentist that they feel comfortable around and who empowers them to prioritize their dental hygiene. This is a responsibility that our staff takes that responsibility seriously.
So, if you’re looking to get in touch with a pediatric dentist in Newmarket, please give us a call, send us an email, or drop by our location in person to get started.